Saturday, February 14, 2015

Tuskegee Airmen



I am continuing my drive across the South on US 80.  I crossed over from Georgia into Alabama and after a short drive I came to the town of Tuskegee.  Just before entering the town I noticed the sign with an arrow pointing to Moton Airfield, the training field for what became known as the Tuskegee Airmen.  I just had to stop here, having heard so much about their service to America during WWII.  There are three observation areas included at this site.  Next to the parking lot is a lovely park with trees and benches and it is very peaceful here, perfect for reflection.  Then, take the pathway down the hill to the two hangars, each filled with historical displays and actual fighter jets used by the airmen.  Reading about their struggles and the seemingly impossible obstacles they overcame just to become pilots gave me a deeper appreciation for all their efforts.  They were known as "red tails" because of the unique paint job they did to their planes.  The airfield, hangars and landscaped park are all run by the US Park Service and there are park rangers available to answer any questions you may have.  Admission is free.  If you are in the area, please stop by.  This museum is impressive.  

No comments:

Post a Comment