Friday, February 13, 2015

Statesboro, Georgia



What a beautiful town!  I spent a few hours yesterday in Statesboro, Georgia.  Parking is free along the main street and I took advantage of that.  I parked my car in the first spot I saw and took the opportunity to walk up and down the main street and its cross street...all named Main.  I have never seen two streets with the same name cross each other.  North and South Main Street cross East and West Main Street at the center of the down town shopping area.  Everything is clearly marked and the merchants are very specific when giving directions to their stores.  I noticed there are several Pageant and Prom dress stores in the down town area.  Upon inquiry I found out that Statesboro draws many pageant contestants to its stores for new and consigned dresses.  One of the stores is operated by the resident designer whose creations were displayed in the windows of his store.  Just gorgeous!!  Moving on, I passed the Bulloch County court house (pictured above).  The building is very impressive with a prominent location on the center square.  Right down the block is the Averitt Center for the Arts.  There is an art Gallery on the first floor and a historical gallery on the second floor.  Admission is free.  The current collection on display features the works of Jonathan Green.  Vivid colors, Southern culture.  Statesboro is a college town.  The main campus of Georgia Southern University is located here.  If you are hungry, may I suggest The Daily Grind.  I was told by the owner of a children's boutique on Main Street (that's EAST Main to be specific)  that I must try the pimento cheese sandwich.  Generally not a fan of pimento cheese spread, I was delighted with the home made pimento cheese with tiny chopped nuts on raisin bread.  Yum!  That ended my visit to Statesboro on a high note (the higher note came later in the day at the winery.  wink,wink) and I am so happy I took the time to get off the road and investigate this delightful town.

No comments:

Post a Comment