Wednesday, February 11, 2015

historic Savannah



This afternoon I took a driving tour of historic Savannah, Georgia.  Beautiful old homes and Spanish moss laden trees line the streets.  The city is laid out using "squares" to define neighborhoods.  The squares are actually small parks (22 of them!) with homes built around the uniquely named squares.  These homes are highly sought after and I imagine rarely come up for sale.  After touring several of these squares I drove down to River Street, parked the car and strolled along the cobblestone and brick sidewalks where oodles of restaurants and small stores line one side of the street.  (The river lines the other side of the street!)  I came across this statue entitled Waving Girl in a small park at the end of the main street.  The statue is dedicated to a woman who, for many decades, greeted ships as they entered and departed the port of Savannah.  I popped into one of the stores along River Street and picked up some pralines which are made on the premises.  Yum!!  My afternoon in Savannah was jam packed and far too short.  I shall return someday and investigate more of the fabulous neighborhoods.  hmmm...make a note.

No comments:

Post a Comment