Friday, February 27, 2015

traveling through Louisiana

Today I completed the drive through Louisiana using US 80.  It was perfect driving weather.  I started at the western end of the old Mississippi River bridge in Delta, La. and drove from the eastern end of the state to the western end where it crosses over into Texas.  Most of the towns I drove through were very small.  The once active downtown shopping districts were now mostly vacant with empty store fronts and boarded up windows.  It was kind of sad to see this.  But, my over active mind could imagine what they must have looked like on a Saturday, especially when people came into town to shop and see a movie.  I liked the thought of this.  I also passed through larger towns and cities along the way like Monroe and Shreveport.  I was able to maneuver US 80 through these larger cities with only one wrong turn (and a little back tracking) at Bossier City.  There were some mid size towns that were able to preserve the look of their original main street.  It made me wonder why some of these towns were able to survive better than others.   I guess some towns just fade away as the population moves away.  The countryside was flat and open.  The road was rather straight.  And then, suddenly, I was in Texas.  I didn't see any welcome sign.  I didn't even see the state line sign.  But I knew I was in Texas.  Wascom, Texas.  So here's the thing.  If I drive across northern Louisiana using the interstate it would take me about 2 3/4 hours.  Today it took me about 5 hours to drive across the state on a highway that basically runs parallel to the interstate.  The speed limits were lower plus I drove directly through many towns and cities along the way.  Sometimes I find the need to travel the interstate in order to "get there" faster.  Today I chose the slower route.  Good choice!!

1 comment:

  1. Glad you had such a good drive!! And I am glad the weather was good. Talk later!

    ReplyDelete