Monday, February 16, 2015

navigating US 80

I am about halfway through my journey across US 80.  For the most part the road is well marked but sometimes it is hard to follow in larger metropolitan areas.  There are times when several highways run on top of each other and following the right road in heavy traffic can be tricky.  I have had to back track a couple of times when the highway abruptly turned and I didn't.  There was one short detour for construction in rural western Georgia.  So far, the longest  unaltered stretch of highway runs from Montgomery, Alabama to the state's border with Mississippi--about 125 miles or so.  Yesterday I completed  the drive through Mississippi from Meridian to Vicksburg.  The roadway was full of twists and turns as it ran roughly parallel to I-20.  I drove through many of the small towns whose names I had seen on the interstate signs--previously by passing them.  Navigating around Jackson was a breeze.  I was able to follow US 80 all the way to Clinton and then it abruptly ended.  Traffic was directed onto the interstate.  I continued driving to Vicksburg--about twenty miles to the west.  Having lived in Vicksburg for several years, I know where highway 80 enters and leaves the city.  Sometime in the next couple of days I will follow rural highway 80 to the east (yes, that's back tracking) in order to complete my drive through the state of Mississippi.  But for now I'm just going to enjoy the sights and sounds of Vicksburg.

No comments:

Post a Comment