Saturday, December 27, 2014

Washington Street

Washington Street is the main street that runs through the downtown of Vicksburg, Mississippi.  It has changed somewhat over the years with various stores coming and going but the buildings remain, old and unchanged in appearance.  I never knew what it was like to shop on Washington Street in the 1950's or '60's but I imagine it to be a bustling place.  (I have seen the pictures.)  I knew the street well in the 1980's and 90's when I lived here.  Traces of the former lively days were evident but it was changing.  I was always interested in the downtown shopping area and loved to watch the holiday parades march through the center of town.  Perhaps it was the architecture of the old buildings and the history that accompanied them that really interested me.  There seems to be a renewed interest in the downtown area.  I noticed it today as I walked down the main street.  A couple of the older vendors were still in business but there were newer businesses that have moved in and offered wares that are more reflective of current times and needs (or wants).  There are more small niche eateries and the street has a vibrant current mixed amongst the old historic buildings.  It was rainy today.  Actually it was rather gloomy.  Time to get out of the rain...and into the coffee shop.

No comments:

Post a Comment