Sunday, December 14, 2014

first row, right there

I went to the theater today.  I saw South Pacific at the Asolo theater in Sarasota, Florida.  Wow!!... is all I can say.   Very well done.  The singing was first rate and the choreography was spot on.  This is repertory theater (at the state theater of Florida, no less) and the acting was superb.  I sat in the first row and I saw everything...and I mean everything.  So, here's the thing.  I worked in theater for many years.  I'm not doing that full time anymore but watching the production today brought on that old excitement I felt when building costumes and mounting a show.  It's hard work, of course, with long hours, deadlines, cranky actors and budget crunching.  Tech weeks are killers but then...there it is, right before your eyes...opening night.  The reward.  I remember standing in a dark corner in the very back of the auditorium watching--not the story on stage but the people in the audience. I could feel their excitement.  And all the hard work was worth it.  I felt that excitement today as I sat in the auditorium and watched this show.  And, for a fleeting moment I wanted to be a part of this again.  I loved the researching, the designing, the building, the whole picture.  I wanted it.  But, then again, I didn't.  I loved being a part of the process but not a part of the politics.  I like problem solving when there is a distinct possibility of a solution but I don't like the uncertainty and anxiety that comes from too many opinions, no distinct solution and an uncertain outcome.  So, I was very happy today to see this wonderful production.  I thoroughly enjoyed myself and when I left the theater I knew there was no clean up involved, at least for me.  I just drove away.  To Applebee's.  But, that's another story...

No comments:

Post a Comment