Thursday, January 29, 2015

Merritt Island Wildlife Refuge



Today I visited the wildlife refuge on Merritt Island in the Titusville, Florida area.  It is a naturally beautiful and very peaceful area under the administration of the U.S. Fish and Wildlife Service.  It is federally protected land open to the public.  I started my tour by visiting the welcome center and picked up all the maps and info needed to truly appreciate my visit.  The wildlife refuge covers several different eco-systems associated with wetlands.  The area offers several hiking trails of varying length and each trail offers opportunities to bird watch, look for manatees or spot small wildlife in their natural habitat.  I chose a two mile hike through the palm hammock.  Absolutely superb.  Nothing but me and a few hundred butterflies (and some armadillos) walking along this peaceful forested pathway.  The path was marked and relatively easy to follow.  It took me about forty five minutes to hike along the wooded path.  The refuge also offers driving tours for those that would rather drive and stop at assigned viewing areas.  No matter how you do it, you will enjoy your day at the wildlife refuge.  This is a great family activity!!

No comments:

Post a Comment