Saturday, June 27, 2015
We visited the Grotto in Portland, Oregon the other day. The actual name for this place is The National Sanctuary of Our Sorrowful Mother. It was the dream of Father Ambrose Mayer to build this sanctuary and it was formally dedicated in 1924. The grotto at the base of the cliff was carved out of the basalt rock. An altar and a reproduction of Michealangelo's Pieta was placed inside. Church services are held outside during the summer months and a chapel serves as a house of worship during the winter months. The statue of Mary was dedicated in 1933. The Grotto is a very lovely and peaceful place. It is maintained by the Servants of Mary ( known as the Servite Order).