Friday, April 22, 2016

the Juneau memorial toy toss



I'm here in Venice, Florida for a couple of weeks visiting with friends and taking care of personal business.  One thing I wanted to do was take my dog Juneau's toys to the local dog park and give the toys away to the dogs that played there.  Juneau was my dog friend for about eight years.  I say "about" because I never really knew his actual birth date.  He was a runaway from a bad home to my home which offered him the love and attention that he deserved.  He had the most piercing blue eyes--very clear, almost icy.  Some people thought he was a wolf and were somewhat afraid of him.  I just knew him as a fluffy, friendly, lovable furry friend.  We went to the dog park many times over the years.  Juneau ran like the wind and it was so much fun to watch him run freely without being on a leash.  In his ninth year he became sick.  I watched as his energy waned and I spent more time just cuddling with him.  On his last day (I didn't know it was his last) he walked outside with me, unleashed, and went next door to the neighbors house and laid down under the big shade tree in her backyard.  I sat with him and watched as he peacefully rested. He was at peace with nature and he was free.  Eventually we went back home and I stayed with him into the night and then he was gone.  I eventually put Juneau's things away.  Shortly after this I left on a very long road trip.  I am back now and I knew what I wanted to do with his toys and things.  I went to the dog park last evening and placed his toys around the park on top of the various tables and benches.  There were a few dogs and there families there and I told them to have their dogs find a toy that they liked and they could keep the toy.  Soon, I could hear squeaky noises coming from different areas of the park.  I was very happy to hear this.  And, I think Juneau is smiling, too.  On the way out of the park I hung his leashes and collars on the fence.  Someone will find them and they will be used again.  Here's to Juneau!!  One of the good ones.  See you again someday friend.




No comments:

Post a Comment