Tuesday, July 31, 2018

Idaho potatoes


Have you ever been to a museum devoted entirely to the potato?  I have.  Several months ago I was driving through eastern Idaho when I noticed a billboard along the side of the road that was advertising the Idaho Potato Museum in Blackfoot, ID.  It is located in a former Union Pacific Railway depot.  Everything you want to know about the potato is answered here by reading the display boards.  There is even a child's hands-on science and experiment center.


The craziest presentation was provided by the talking potato family.  This took me by surprise.  I was walking through this short hallway from one display area to the next (the hall was sort of dark) when all of a sudden I heard someone talking to me.  I turned around to see who it was and as I did so I happened to look down through this glass wall to a room in the basement.  The room was pitch black except for the potato sacks with faces on them that were looking right at me and talking to me, too.  Talking potatoes!!  The potato family talked about all things potato and cracked a bunch of jokes along the way.  It was hilarious.  I must have activated the projection system and awakened the potatoes when I passed through the short dark hallway.  I was completely surprised by this.  What a great surprise for everyone that visits the museum.  I had a lot of fun there.   It pays to read those billboards along the roadside and when you see something special--just stop and enjoy.


No comments:

Post a Comment