Thursday, October 15, 2015

Mission San Diego de Alcala



I found it.  Yes, I did.  I wanted to visit this historic mission on previous trips to San Diego but I didn't.  This time while I was in SD I took the opportunity to see the mission.  Mission San Diego de Alcala  is the first mission established in California by Father Junipero Serra.  Many of the mission buildings fell into disrepair during the beginning of the 20th century but the mission and surrounding gardens and bell tower were reconstructed in the 1930's with the help of early sketches.




There is an archeological dig site on the property and many artifacts, including original foundations and building materials have been uncovered.  The self guided tour gave me plenty of opportunities to linger a while in the gardens and the sanctuary.  It's very peaceful here.



No comments:

Post a Comment